Chief Executive Officer
|Location:||New York, NY|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Employer:||Lower East Side Peoples FCU|
|Description:||IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE:|
The Lower East Side People’s Federal Credit Union is seeking a dynamic, experienced, and highly motivated professional to join our ambitious Board and Staff, and to lead the credit union through the next stage in its history. The ideal candidate will have previously served in a successful leadership role at a financial institution, and will embody a deep commitment to the organization’s double bottom line of community impact and financial sustainability. The credit union’s next CEO will be ready and able to lead the Lower East Side People’s FCU as New York City’s premier community development credit union.
ABOUT LES PEOPLE’S FCU:
The Lower East Side People’s FCU is a nationally-recognized leader in the community development
credit union movement, with over $55 million in assets. Founded by community residents in 1986
after the last local bank branch closed, LES People’s FCU’s mission is to provide affordable
financial services for its members. The credit union is a bilingual (English/Spanish) full-service
financial institution providing a wide range of products and services, including savings and checking accounts, debit and credit cards, a full spectrum of loans, and business accounts, as well as financial education and other development services for individuals, families and businesses. The credit union’s lending features a specific focus on affordable housing for low- and moderate-income homeowners. LES People’s FCU’s membership reflects the diversity of New York City and includes a historic membership base among Latinos and low and moderate-income families, micro and small businesses, and nonprofit community organizations. LES People’s FCU has achieved
dramatic growth in recent years, expanding its lending reach to new homeowners and small
businesses, and continuously widening the range of retail banking products and financial development services to meet the growing needs of all segments of our community. We recently
opened our third branch, and are poised to become New York City’s premier community
development credit union. The current CEO’s planned retirement is occurring after twelve years of successfully leading the organization.
Directs the activities of the credit union in support of policies, goals and objectives established by the Board of Directors, by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate managers and supervisors.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Maintain a sound plan of corporate organization, establishing policies to insure adequate management development and to provide for capable management succession.
2. Prepare short– and long range plans and budgets based on broad organizational goals and
3. Evaluate the results of overall operations regularly and systematically and report these
results to the board.
4. Ensure that all organizational activities and operations are carried out in compliance with
NCUA, local, state and federal regulations and laws governing business operations.
5. Direct the development and promotion of LES People’s FCU services.
6. Direct fundraising activities and reporting.
Board of Directors:
- With board, prepare, implement and review short and long-term strategic goals
- Keep board informed of operating, fundraising, personnel matters and other pertinent issues
- Propose to board policy changes and means to improve operations
- Communicate board decisions to staff and present staff concerns to the board
-Provide financial reports and other materials for monthly board meetings
Administrative / Supervisory:
- Oversee performance of all credit union departments, programs and services and ensure that programs are administered in compliance with regulatory and governmental agency
standards and mandates
- Directly supervise Senior Management Team (5 people)
- Ensure adherence to a solid system of policies and internal control procedures.
- Promote open communication system among departments, between senior and junior staff,
and develop a strong management team
- Oversee hiring, supervision and delegation of responsibilities among credit union staff (25
- Provide opportunities for staff training, development, and internal advancement
- Develop operating budgets and monitor performance and expenditures
- Ensure compliance with NCUA regulations and capital requirements, as well as internal
- Participate in and act on findings of periodic NCUA examinations
- Enter into business agreements on behalf of LES People’s FCU as assigned by the board
Planning and Development:
- Develop and coordinate strategic planning sessions with board
- Develop, implement and monitor short- and long-term business plans
- Explore opportunities for new services, lending, ATM and branch expansion, and field of
- Propose and oversee new products and services development
- Establish and maintain relationships with current and prospective funders; and pursue
appropriate and creative funding opportunities
- Inform and monitor marketing and communication plans
Member and Community Relations:
- Maintain and develop positive relationships between LES People’s FCU and community
organizations, elected officials and other supporters
- Assure participation of LES People’s FCU in community events
- Represent LES People’s FCU in coalitions and in the credit union movement
- Pursue partnerships with like-minded credit unions and others to promote LES People’s
FCU’s vision and goals
- Be available and responsive to members
- Monitor community and member needs and trends, and ensure that services respond to
Applications are now being accepted; please respond by February 15, 2018. Please submit a cover letter and resume to: HR@lespfcu.org
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least five years of operations and financial management experience
as a Senior Manager or Board member, at a multi-level bank or credit union
- Strong references able to speak to candidate’s leadership, supervisory and financial
management track record
- Ability to communicate effectively with Board of Directors, staff, members, community
organizations, federal regulatory agencies, and the press
- Commitment to community development mission of LES People’s FCU
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Bilingual Spanish strongly desired